Are you worried that your future book will be rejected? Do you wonder if you can actually do this work?
You may know me as “The Original Book Coach.” That’s a tag I learned to use over the 30 years at this work.
That’s right, in the mid 80’s I became a book coach as well as a life skills coach and teacher for adults in San Diego. I gave multiple seminars and at the back of the room, sold my 19 books on personal growth such as “Passion at Any Age,” “Joy Ride,” and holistic health short books including “10 Ways to Super Memory.”
Yes, I had a little fear then. Who would buy these books to augment my low teacher pay?
I kept reaching out for new venues and found one that paid me over $1000 for the short book and 2 hour seminar that brought them over 100 students. The manager came to me after she paid me and was not happy I made so much money. She didn’t care that her organization made good money too. Those times and supposedly educational venues still devalue teachers who coach on important skills. This shows you why so many of us leave limited jobs to take the risk of becoming an entrepreneur. We then can create our own reality.
Ask Yourself – “How’s what I’m doing now working?”
What Do You Do When You Feel Underappreciated?
When not appreciated, and your resistance is not the problem, it’s time to move on. Scary, but so much good is out there. The Universe always says yes. What do you say?
Here’s One Example…
Before the Internet, when I presented over 12 seminars in person; my income inched up to over $6500 a month, partly because I promoted them, but partly because of the value of the short books I sold at each event.
I learned how to create my own reality through the concept of Quantum Physics. These mindset exercises can help you too.
Benefits of Mindset Exercises
If you show up at your computer to write, what kind of mood are you in? Do you dread it like a root canal? Or, do you feel, “I’m fortunate to play this game?” If you have not come with positive energy or you still feel upset over something that displeased you earlier, you may not last long on your book project. Staying positive daily works to motivate us to show up at the page happy and relaxed. That way we do finish our books, feeling complete and confident.
All of us have some emotional baggage. I had a tough divorce and dead-end teaching jobs. I decided to let it all go if it didn’t add to my life and my calling. Then, when I do write (and I write every day), I feel engaged and even if the words don’t flow, I write them down anyway. I continue the next day with what I worked on the day before. This time, with renewed energy.
Judy’s Hot Tip
Don’t start any book file facing a blank page. It’s always easier to adapt, change and write valuable copy when you have some previous words to hook your new words onto.
Did you ever see this saying? “Write a page a day and you’ll have your book within a year.” That came from a novelist. 365 pages?
I parted from old traditional publishing before 2000. As your veteran book coach, I advise the same. But, instead of writing a long book not many will read, allow 3-4 shorter, more focused books with a slant that pleases each different audience to emerge. Use these books to show your value, so your audience will know, like and trust you to want your ecourses and your mastery programs that create more wealth for you.
Remember, it’s not the 90’s. We writers and readers like short, easy to read copy, useful information and tips to help solve our specific challenges. We are busy and we often use small devices to read and do online business. Since nobody wants to read a long book to get their challenges solved, you will benefit more from producing 3-4 books to make your audiences happy.
Book authors often cheat themselves from finishing and enjoying the fruits of their labor. That’s why using a book coach like me can nudge and encourage you to enjoy the journey.
When your mindset is singularly positive, you will create motivation and lasting power to finish your book.
Mindset Exercise One
Here’s Some Ideas and How-tos for “New Physics Mindset Exercises”
- Every time you think a negative thought such as “I can’t do this book” think of the actions you take.
- Negative actions examples include watching a lot of TV, overeating, overdrinking, hiding out.
- Your reality? Results are not so good. You lose confidence. You quit the book. You feel frustrated and angry at yourself.
Thoughts + Actions = Reality (Results)
Let me share my positive thought, followed by my actions equaling my reality. In your journal, write these three parts.
One. Positive Thought:
I am a top book coach Action of studying other gurus and teachers.
- Action of giving how to write a book seminars via phone.
- Action of creating a selling website.
- Action of positioning myself as a leader-friends with top leaders.
- Action of writing and marketing new book/business books.
- Action of writing and publishing blog articles.
Three. My Reality (Results)
- I got flexible and expanded my wings. Each time one door closed, another one opened.
- I decided to stay an entrepreneur because I could fly higher.
- I still worked a day job teaching how to write a book seminars (that paid for the online learning curve I had).
- I created a selling website, wrote a how to book on it.
- I hired a savvy webmaster and a virtual assistant.
- I delegated tasks–just ask my son, Randy, raised by his single mother.
- I created my Facebook and Linkedin book groups to establish my credibility.
- I was asked to join a professional speakers coaching team to be the expert on book writing, publishing, and marketing.
- I created a supportive community on my site to serve top business people who want support for their book projects.
- I created 13 skills books on LinkedIn, book writing and marketing.
- I created a sweet deal with a publisher to put my signature book, “Write your eBook or Other Short Book–Fast!” on Amazon (before we knew SEO and keyword phrases).
- I created over 300 how to articles–useful tips that could become part of a new book.
- I created over 80 teleseminars and workshops to help my business audience get what they wanted.
- I’m creating new how to seminars, ecourses, and a VIP website to illustrate my value to top entrepreneurs and CEOs.
- I created a best reputation because of my integrity, my writing abilities (all writing is influential I think), and my ability to solve the doubts that hold writers back.
Now It’s Your Turn.
In your journal write down your positive thoughts relating to your book. Follow them with the actions you took or are taking now. See your new reality emerge from this mindset.
What Could Stop You in Your Book Adventure?
Maybe you can relate to health issues.
As my life changed, so did my book coaching. Thinking I was invincible, when taking dance instructions at the library, my unknown partner pushed me backwards too strongly. My new reality was a fall and strong headaches. Those actions slowed me down for over 6 months because I needed in-house help to heal. Just before my dancing misadventure, my partner got ill with cancer, so I experienced the caregiver role. Life can throw us some curves. They don’t have to stop us, but may delay some of our actions.
Just now I’m free and back with happy energy in my beautiful mindset practices. I’m exploding with new approaches to book writing and I’m definitely focused on my ideal audience–Top Business People who want and are willing to write their book.
Mindset Practice 2. Visualization for Goal Setting
When I taught creative thinking and book writing in the 90’s, using Julia Cameron’s book, “The Artist Way,” we used mindmapping, a color coded system to write goals and also a way for right brainers to outline their books.
We also used my favorite visualization for book writers. It’s you saying YES! To yourself.
First, don’t write book sales goals or book numbers that are so far in the future, you lose track of them.
Instead, use my favorite visualization, using three senses, acting as if it’s already done.
On a 3″ by 5″ card, write it this way:
Now that my book (title here) is finished…
I SEE my bank statements sales doubling.
I SEE myself smiling ear to ear.
I HEAR applause from my audience.
I HEAR myself sighing in relief it’s done.
I FEEL exhilarated, confident and ready for more.
I FEEL strong that I can do this.
When you accept your book completed ahead of the work, you create all the support you need from Universal energy. Now that’s a powerful team. The right people show up as do the skills you need to finish.
Mindset Practice Three. Gratitudes, Affirmations and Letting Go of the Past
How do you wake up each morning? Your morning attitude sets the tone of your whole day, and how much happiness you’ll create.
Step One. Write your list of gratitudes in your personal journal.
Of course, I’m grateful for my beautiful home, my friends and family. Every day I write the top five people I’m grateful for and why.
Step Two. Write Affirmations You Don’t Believe Now, But Will After 21 Days of Practice.
Some people say them during the day. Since I’m a writer and you are too, it’s even a stronger message to write affirmations daily in your personal journal.
Here’s some favorites:
- I let go of all that doesn’t serve my top goals (one is a book, yes?).
- I am free to keep my lifestyle interesting, challenging and fun.
- I believe in myself.
- I love my life.
I started this practice in the 80’s and today my life Is full, fulfilled and I smile most of the day (except when the ants come to my kitchen).
Now, go ahead and write a few affirmations of your own. Practice writing the top three 5-10 times a day in your journal.
Step Three. Write Forgivnesses for You to Move Forward
Some of us hold onto things that hurt us. We even tell stories to our friends about them. I know I used to before I discovered this powerful mindset exercise in the 80’s. Who to forgive? It’s up to you, but when you do you’ll feel so much happier.
Here’s a few to get you started:
- I forgive _ for leaving me.
- I forgive my parents for everything.
- I forgive _ for hurting my feelings.
Now, go ahead and write your letting go forgivenesses in your journal.
Realize these hard feelings affect you every day. They are baggage we don’t need or want. They take away the joy that’s here. And, really nobody cares about these negative thoughts of ours. When I let go of hurts over the years, it made me appreciate my life more.
Remember Your Thoughts Have Power, so Keep Them Positive to get clear and move forward on your top life and business goals.
Take Some Free Action Today!
What one thing did you learn from these mindset practices?
Leave me a comment on where you are now with your book project and I’ll use my inner radar to see what you need and want to help as I can.
Email me your book title, your name and email and problem you have now. This is time sensitive, so act before September 23, 2016!
Latest posts by Judy Cullins (see all)
- Warning! The 5 Most Common Subject Line Mistakes for Business Writers - October 24, 2017
- Finish your Book Project Fast – Write High Level Activities - October 3, 2017
- Build Your Book’s Promotion Platform Before & After Publishing - September 14, 2017